Fire Hall #16, located near Hillsboro Village on 21st Avenue South, is the second oldest fire hall in Nashville that is still in use. Originally built in 1929 to house a horse-drawn fire wagon, it was designed in the Tudor Revival style that was popular at the time to blend with the adjoining neighborhoods.
Dowdle Construction Group renovated the existing historic building in 2008 and built a new addition to the station with a larger fire truck bay. Although some modern-day fire trucks could fit in the existing space, the fire company needed a bigger space to house a larger fire truck.
Commissioned by Metro Nashville, we partnered with McFarlin Huitt Panvini, who designed the new addition. The renovation included quite a bit of exterior and interior work. On the exterior, we installed a new clay tile roof and copper gutters as well as new electrical and mechanical systems. We also created a rain garden to collect and hold stormwater runoff.
In addition, we completely rehabilitated and renovated the interior finishes. For example, we restored the porcelain brick veneer on the walls, which was a very popular design element from the 1890s through 1920s. We also updated the kitchen, restrooms and sleeping quarters with new fixtures and equipment. Additionally, we installed interior storm windows to improve energy efficiency without having to sacrifice the original windows.
Our work on Fire Hall 16 won an award from the Metropolitan Nashville Historic Commission.
This isn’t the only historic fire hall we’ve restored. We also renovated Fire Hall 14 on Holly Street in East Nashville, which was built in 1914 and is the oldest Nashville fire hall in operation.